Friday, May 27, 2011

Life As a Cat Owner

I own two cats. Or two cats own me.

The first was a birthday gift; the second was a friend for the first, the birthday gift.

I like having pets, and I like cats because you can leave them on their own for a couple days and they are self-sufficient. I just need to find a cat sitter to stop by every other day to check on them.

BUT, recently my lovely Siamese has taken to not using his litter box, or rather using the living room corner as his second litter box. Not cool, buddy, not cool.

I think it started because I tried to change to a more Earth friendly litter, something biodegradable. He wasn't having it, I guess, and started his nasty habit.

So I changed back to the old litter. And he started going in his box -- but not all the time. He still liked his corner, no matter how hard I scrubbed or what distractions I put there.

There was the chance that he'd developed a urinary tract infection (gross, yes) but the vet checked him out and nope, that wasn't it. So we have a behavioral problem on our hands.

All that to say, the vet suggested that I check out The Indoor Pet Initiative from the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Find the section on cats here. It's very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment