Monday, April 4, 2011

A New Way to Enjoy Oatmeal

OK, I haven't tried this yet (tomorrow morning!) but I hear it's an amazing way to make your oatmeal. Not sweet but savory - with an egg on top! Yes, please!

Savory Oatmeal:

(The recipe comes from this blog. She's a food photographer, too, so there are some real nice pictures to see as well.)

INGREDIENTS:

steel cut oats or rolled oats
olive oil
flaky sea salt
cracked pepper
aged sharp cheddar
additional toppings, poached or sunny-side up egg, sauteed veggies, or other savory ingredients to taste
 
PREPARATION:

Follow directions for making oats. I normally bring 2 cups of water to a raging boil, add 1 cup of steel cut oats and lower heat to low. Cook slowly for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Oats are done when they are soft unless you prefer them more al dente.

Dish the oatmeal into bowls. The remaining ingredients are to your liking.

I start with the olive oil, add a 1/2 a tablespoon, maybe a pinch of salt, a few twists of crack pepper, and a shaving of cheese. Mix it all together and taste. Maybe add a little more oil, a pinch more of salt, pepper and cheese…mix…taste…I find that I add as I go with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment