Monday, January 31, 2011

Taco Seasoning

Two things....

1) My mom has got the family thinking "low sodium," or at least she's got me thinking that. I'm reading labels and looking for ways to cut sodium.

2) I've been wanting to make tacos with my "not meat" but not wanting to use packaged taco seasoning and its high sodium.

Enter this recipe from my All Recipes iPad app.

TACO SEASONING:

Ingredients:

6 t. chili powder
5 t. paprika
4 1/2 t. ground cumin
2 1/2 t. onion powder
2 1/2 t.  garlic powder
1 1/2 t. cornstarch
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Directions:

In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cornstarch. Close lid securely, and shake well to mix contents.

Seven teaspoons is equivalent to 1 (1.25 ounce) package of taco seasoning. Add 7 teaspoons and 1/2 to 3/4 cup water to 1 pound meat/non-meat.

***I used this with "Gimme Lean" Sausage. [website]  It tasted like taco meat, delicious on salads and tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment