Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Make your own mustard

I made my own ketchup recently. I didn't realize that there wasn't any in my refrigerator and I needed some for a recipe. That was a successful experiment.

The other day I noticed that I was getting to the bottom of my squeeze bottle of yellow mustard and thought I would attempt to make my own mustard, since the ketchup went so well.

I used the recipe below; it was a success. It tastes like basic yellow mustard but with a kick! Not like spicy stoneground mustard, but kind of like spicy stoneground mustard.

Yellow Mustard:

INGREDIENTS:
4 T. yellow mustard flour/powder
1/2 t. flour
3/8 t. salt
1/8 t. turmeric
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of paprika
1/4 C. water
3 T. vinegar

PREPARATION:
Mix dry ingredients in small saucepan. Add water and vinegar; mix. Bring to boil over medium heat. Turn heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for one minute. Cover and cool completely. Transfer to container and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment