Monday, January 9, 2012

Vegan Soup!

One of my New Year's Resolution of sorts is to be as vegan as possible in the days, weeks, months and years ahead. I never thought I would want to be as vegan as possible but I was practically there anyway so why not make the leap.

I received the Happy Herbivore cookbook for Christmas and started making the recipes as soon as I got home to Nashville. Starting with this one (page 59)....

Sweet & Spicy Butternut Squash Soup:


INGREDIENTS:
1 small butternut squash
2 4-ounce cans of green chilis
1/2 C. non-dairy milk
1 t. pure maple syrup
1/2 C. broth or non-dairy milk
salt, to taste
hot sauce, to taste

PREPARATION:
Roast the butternut squash until the skin peels away and discard the seeds. Place the butternut squash in a blender and add the chilis, non-dairy milk and syrup. Blend until smooth. Add the broth/non-dairy milk to get the creamy texture you want. Pour into saucepan, add salt and heat on low on the stove. Drizzle with hot sauce as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment