Saturday, June 14, 2008

What's the word?

I had an funny and interesting 'talk' with my friend Jessica out here in Cali. I posted a status update on Twitter/Facebook: "Jackie has decided that honey yogurt is 'blech.'"

Jessica whose first language is not English (she is from Honduras) sent me a message on Facebook:

"What is blech? couln't find a translation.
this is the definition, but...was that what you meant...

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Cite This Source

A blech (from the German by way of Yiddish word for tin or sheet metal) is a metal sheet used by many observant Jews to cover stovetop burners (and for some, the knobs/dials too) on Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath), as part of the precautions taken to avoid violating the halachic prohibition against cooking on the Sabbath by stirring the fire."

HA! I answered:

"You're the best. 'Blech' in my mind is more of a sound effect that means gross. :) When I gag on something that doesn't taste good, I stick my tongue out and say, Blech.

It works with the sheet metal definition, too. Eating honey yogurt would be like eating sheet metal."

I have taught Jessica a new 'English' word.

No comments:

Post a Comment